Friday, 28 August 2015

The Neon Rain - James Lee Burke (Book review)

Hello everyone. Time for another book review. I have read a few books and will do them in order and start with this one, Its a crime book.

Story (borrowed from amazon.com)
Detective Dave Robicheaux has fought too many battles: in Vietnam, with killers and hustlers, with police brass, and with the bottle. Lost without his wife's love, Robicheaux's haunted soul mirrors the intensity and dusky mystery of New Orleans' French Quarter -- the place he calls home, and the place that nearly destroys him when he becomes involved in the case of a young prostitute whose body is found in a bayou. Thrust into the world of drug lords and arms smugglers, Robicheaux must face down a subterranean criminal world and come to terms with his own bruised heart in order to survive.

My thoughts
So this book sounds very interesting and I thought it would be a very good book. It has had very good reviews before so I didnt hesitate to buy it when I saw it on sale. I started reading and I got very very bored very quickly  The story is good but it is way to long, and I dont mean the book is thick or anything, I mean that the story itself is short but the author has decided to put in so much rubbish and bullshit into the book that isnt interesting for the story so, accordint to me, fill it out. 

The author has a very good english and uses it very well but sometimes I wonder why the heck he is talking about. I have a master in English and have studied literature at university level and NON of my teacher in either English or literature would approve of this (ab)use of the language. and punktuation, almost lacking and ONE scentence can be almost a whole page and mid in, you have no idea what you have written. 

there is more about the war in Vietnam in this book than it is about the crime and the investigation of it. I dont understand how this book can have gotten so good reviews because the story is limited and the story that is about the crime and investigation isnt unique. its very common and plain and follows what you can find in any crime novel. if you look at the war description, its not uniqueue either. 

This book is, according to me, a big waste of time. Its mediocer with a very thin story with way to much nonsens in it. I think this book will be useful if you want to light a fire or somethings but as a novel it really is a waste of time and paper.  I would never ever recommend this book to anyone, ever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment