Thursday, 7 January 2016

The Golden Compass: His Dark Materials 1 - Philip Pullman (book review)

I got this book for christmas and I couldnt wait to start reading it and here is the review of it

Buy it here


Story
Lyra Belacqua is content to run wild among the scholars of Jodan College, with her daemon familiar always by her side. But the arrival of her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, draws her to the heart of a terrible struggle—a struggle born of Gobblers and stolen children, witch clans and armored bears. And as she hurtles toward danger in the cold far North, Lyra never suspects the shocking truth: she alone is destined to win, or to lose, this more-than-mortal battle. 

Philip Pullman's award-winning The Golden Compass is a masterwork of storytelling and suspense, critically acclaimed and hailed as a modern fantasy classic.

My thoughts
I firt read this book a few years back but in my native language and now I got it in English for Christmas. I started reading it and it is way better in the original language. The story is so well written and it is spellbinding. Their is a clear read thread but with so many things going on and you never get tired of it. It is breathtaking with good descriptions, tears, hope, joy, and fear.


It is a clear young adult fantasy book but as an adult you will love it too. It is a modern fantasy and it is so well written and explored and you just dive in, in this amazing story and find youself trapped. Lyra, gobblers, deamons, kidnaped children, and everything else you can just imagine and everything is about Dust.


For me, the language is perfect, its not to easy and not to hard. I find the language enjoyable and I, as not an English native, learn new words and things. It is written in a special way and for me it is both good and wierd but it challenge my view of how to tell a story,


This book has an ending even if it is open for the second part of it and I just hope it is as good as this one. And I can imagine a lot of people have seen the move, but forget the movie, it has barly nothing to do with the book. The movie sucks but the book is so awesome. How could they have made such a bad movie from this awesome book?

If you havent read this book, you have missed something because it is pure awesomeness. I cant wait to get my hands on the other 2 books in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment