Wednesday, 20 April 2016

Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account - Miklos Nyiszli (book review)

I decided to read something different, something real and with history to deepened my knowledge and because I enjoy reading different things so I picked this book up... and I shouldnt wright this now because I think I need days weeks or months to really digest this book.

BuyLinks
Buy it as paperback here
Buy it as ebook here
Buy it as audio book here

Story
When the Nazis invaded Hungary in 1944, they sent virtually the entire Jewish population to Auschwitz. A Jew and a medical doctor, the prisoner Dr. Miklos Nyiszli was spared death for a grimmer fate: to perform "scientific research" on his fellow inmates under the supervision of the man who became known as the infamous "Angel of Death" - Dr. Josef Mengele. Nyiszli was named Mengele's personal research pathologist. In that capactity he also served as physician to the Sonderkommando, the Jewish prisoners who worked exclusively in the crematoriums and were routinely executed after four months. Miraculously, Nyiszli survived to give this horrifying and sobering account.

Thoughts
This is a pretty short read but it is very interesting. This book had, for me, new insights and a new perspectives. I dont even know what to wright because this is a memory, about a horror that struck Europe and the short weeks of a doctor who does everything he can to survive.

What I did like about the book is that you can see what made Miklós Nyiszli surive. The book is pretty clean and dont have a lot of emotions but I can imagine that is for different reasons. It was a way he had to put himself in to survive and also a state he had to put himself into to be able to wright this book and tell his story which otherwise may never have been told.

I think it will take days to really digest the book and it will probably take a few days to wright a good review but how do you describe a book that is so real, about a horrible subject without it to be clice?

Saying that the book is good or I enjoyed reading it sounds so wrong when the subject is so horrible. I did learn from the book and got another view of Auschwitz from the one I have from being their, from family who was there.

This was a very interesting read and it gave me a new perspective and new thoughts and feelings.

Narrator for the audio book
I also have this book as an audio book and have listen to it and the narrator is Noah Michael Levine and he does it really well. He tells the story in a perfect way with a calm voice but that captures you and drags you into the story. It feels like you are listening to the one who wrote the book so this audio book is really great and the narrator does a perfect job with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment