Monday, 18 April 2016

Eldest: Book Two (The Inheritance cycle) - Christopher Paolini (book review)

This weekend I had some down time so I took time to finish reading some books I have had started but never got around to read. This is the first one

Buy Links
Get it as paperback here

Story
Darkness falls…despair abounds…evil reigns…

Eragon and his dragon, Saphira, have just saved the rebel state from destruction by the mighty forces of King Galbatorix, cruel ruler of the Empire. Now Eragon must travel to Ellesmera, land of the elves, for further training in the skills of the Dragon Rider: magic and swordsmanship. Soon he is on the journey of a lifetime, his eyes open to awe-inspring new places and people, his days filled with fresh adventure. But chaos and betrayal plague him at every turn, and nothing is what it seems. Before long, Eragon doesn’t know whom he can trust.

Meanwhile, his cousin Roran must fight a new battle–one that might put Eragon in even graver danger.

Will the king’s dark hand strangle all resistance? Eragon may not escape with even his life. . . .

My Thoughts

I first read this book when it was new and I read it in my native language Swedish. I got the whole set as a gift in English a while ago and I remembered liking Eragon but hating this one and I really mean that I hated it. I did reread Eragon and like it and then started with this one just so I would have read it before continue in with the series. I was so surprised that I ended up loving this book. I dont  know if it has something to do with age or what it is but this book is solid and is way better than Eragon if I will be honest.

There is a lot going on in this book but still, this book is more about Ergaon and Saphiras training and how things exist and feelings and thoughts. It has a depth that I cant find in the first book. This shows a maturety from the author and it is more fantasy than the first one. I enjoyed reading this book and was so inlove with it. It captured me and following Eragon and Saphira, Varden and Roran… It was just perfect and we had thoughts, feelings, deaths, pain, fights and everything you can wish for.

I understand that a lot of people would find this book boring but this has a strenght that you find in a lot of really good fantasy. I really enjoyed this book this time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment