Wednesday, 27 April 2016

Dracula - Bram Stoker (book review)

So I have reread and listen to one of my old time favorit classic books, Dracula by Bram Stoker

Story
The tale begins with Jonathan Harker, a newly qualified English solicitor, visiting Count Dracula in the Carpathian Mountains on the border of Transylvania, Bukovina, and Moldavia, to provide legal support for a real estate transaction overseen by Harker's employer. At first enticed by Dracula's gracious manners, Harker soon realizes that he is Dracula's prisoner. Wandering the Count's castle against Dracula's admonition, Harker encounters three female vampires, called "the sisters", from whom he is rescued by Dracula. After the preparations are made, Dracula leaves Transylvania and abandons Harker to the sisters. Harker barely escapes from the castle with his life.
Not long afterward, a Russian ship, the Demeter, having weighed anchor at Varna, runs aground on the shores of Whitby. The captain's log narrates the gradual disappearance of the entire crew, until the captain alone remained, himself bound to the helm to maintain course. An animal resembling "a large dog" is seen leaping ashore. The ship's cargo is described as silver sand and 50 boxes of "mould", or earth, from Transylvania.

My Thoughts
I remember the first time I read this book and how much I loved it and I have no reread it and I still love this. This is by now a very old book but the books is still brilliant and so full of life.

I enjoy the way Bram Stoker writes and how this story is told. It gives and insight from different perspective which, I find, drives the story forward. We get to know a lot of what is going on from different points of views. The story is thrilling, and funny at the same time.

This is a classic and a classic I love and are gonna reread a lot because it is a brilliant book. This is one of the book who got me hooked into vampire stories and well written books at the same time. It has done so much for me and I hope more people will read it and understand how brilliant it is. The age of the book is not a problem because even if the book has a old language and a different way of telling things, it is still easy to understand and gives a depth to the language.

I love this book and can really recommend it to other people

No comments:

Post a Comment