Wednesday, 24 August 2016

The Family Romanov: Murder, Rebellion, and the Fall of Imperial Russia - Candace Fleming (book review)

I am very interested in history and want to learn more and I thought reading a bit about Russian history and the Romanov family would be interesting. I also bought this book on sale.

Buy links
Get it as e-book here
Get it as hardcover here

Story
Here is the tumultuous, heartrending, true story of the Romanovs—at once an intimate portrait of Russia's last royal family and a gripping account of its undoing. Using captivating photos and compelling first person accounts, award-winning author Candace Fleming (Amelia Lost; The Lincolns) deftly maneuvers between the imperial family’s extravagant lives and the plight of Russia's poor masses, making this an utterly mesmerizing read as well as a perfect resource for meeting Common Core standards.

My Thoughts

I thought it would be interesting to learn more about Russian history because that period of time was very brief in my history education. I was happy to find this book but I must say it was not as good as I hoped it would be. I feel like this is something for young adults more than for adults. This is not always something bad because it can make it easier to understand and learn but this was a little bit to easy and I felt that the language and tone was used to make the reader look stupid or something.

The story don't go into any depth in the story and the lived of the Romanov history and it really didn't give me anything new. Maybe this is a good read if you know very little, which I thought I did but after reading this I don't know, or if you are a young person who wants to learn about the Romanov family and a little bit about Russia during this time.

I am disappointed in this read. It was not my coup of tea. I was bored and had a hard time finish reading it but in the end I manage to do so. I also think the book gave me more questions than answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment