Saturday, 8 October 2016

The Unholy - Paul DeBlassie III (book review)

So, reading the description of this book made me want to read it and I was lucky enough to get an ARC to do so

Story
A young curandera, a medicine woman, intent on uncovering the secrets of her past is forced into a life-and-death battle against an evil Archbishop. Set in the mystic land of Aztlan, "The Unholy" is a novel of destiny as healer and slayer. Native lore of dreams and visions, shape changing, and natural magic work to spin a neo-gothic web in which sadness and mystery lure the unsuspecting into a twilight realm of discovery and decision. 

My thoughts
 At first I really liked the book and the way the story was going, but after a while I simply got bored of it. As a fantasy lover, you get used to descriptions in book and that authors love to describe everything around characters, this has its charm in many cases even if I start to see it as a sickness in modern fantasy. In this book it got to be to much and I got bored and just wanted to get to the story, not know everything around all the time. The story, that is there, is really interesting and would be worth reading BUT, here come the big BUT, there is simply to much description of useless things in this book and that suffocate the story.

The story is a mix between fantasy and thriller and it is, and could be even more, scary due to how things is in the world and what is going on. This mix is something I simply loved because it was a great setup for a great story. I just find it sad that the author has to kill the story with the descriptions.

The characters in the book is otherwise very interesting and I liked them, how they acted and felt. It drove the story forward when it was possible.

I wish I could give the book more stars because it do has potential but as it is right now, I really cant due to all descriptions that kills the story. This is not a must read book as it is, it is more of a sleeping pill than a really good book. What this book needs is a bit of editing and someone who steps in and say "STOP" when it comes to all descriptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment