Monday, 5 December 2016

Silver Bells: A Holiday Romance by Jacquie Biggar (book review)

So, I got this book for an honest review, and every time I do, I feel bad for not loving it and giving it more stars than medium but I promised an honest review and this is my review.


Story
He doesn't believe in love, so why can't he forget her?

Mystery writer, Joel Carpenter, has no time for romance. He has a deadline to meet, and too many skeletons in his closet to trust the slightly spinny artist renting his house.

Christy Taylor has her hands full dealing with an ailing business and a diabetic daughter, she doesn't need the temptation that is her landlord, Joel Carpenter.

Can a Christmas wish bring two stubborn souls together and give a little girl the gift she wants most?

My thoughts
It feels bad to put 3 start out of 5 on a short novella that I did enjoy reading and with a great story-line. But even so, I felt like the book or novella was missing something. Maybe it is a bit of heart and warmth i am missing in it. The novella can be a real great story and a real great normal length book and I think that is what this novella needs, more time and more feeling into it. I like the whole struggle in the book, with diabetes, between mother and child and between Joel and Christy. It made it feel more real.

The language used in the novella is great and partly simple. Which also put me off sometimes. I really had a hard time focusing on the story because there where so much stuff missing. Also I like when stuff is going on around the characters to make it feel more real and live. here it feels like we are going straight forward without any turns or stuff around it. No extra characters, and a few loose ends took some of the magic away.

This is by no means a bad novella, I just wished and hope for more. Also this is a Holiday romance novella with the focus on Winter of Christmas, or? I didn't really understand that part because for me, it was like any other time of the year when it is cold and not so much Holiday or Christmas so if you want a great Christmas read, this is not the book for you even if the cover shows it should be. That is for me also a big fail, when the cover don't match the story. So in total a pretty okay read but  nothing memorable and a bit misleading and not enough depth.


No comments:

Post a Comment